Our History

In 1936, mister Enrique Marsó and his wife Lola, together with their children’s help, started breeding poulty in an intensive way, from that initiative came into being Las Camelias S.A., a company that is made up of several poultry breeders. The most important thing in Las Camelias S.A. is to act in every productive process stage, from production to marketing, assuring in that way quality in what we offer. Year in, your out, we try to strengthen every productive process so as to make progress in the line production, from the genetic management to the after-sales service.

We now invite you to learn about our history...

In 1936 mister Enrique Marsó and Mrs Lola, sons of enthusiastic and enterprising immigrants, learnt about poultry and eggs intensive production. They began with a dozen poultry in their backyard in San José, Entre Ríos. Here, the first sale occurs when the German Carlos Strassman buys the first group made up of six males and five females.

In 1939, the first hatching room is built on the basement of mister Enrique’s house. He himself made with his bare hands a wooden table, ran on kerosene, which was able to hatch 250 eggs.

The BB chicks were sold to local breeders. Then, they were taken in a jalopy to a club where farming was promoted. In 1972, they got a production of 2,600 dozen eggs per week, and that is the reason why they decided to build the first hatching plant with a capacity of 250,000 eggs. Here, it begins the grilling chicken sales to independent producers. In 1998, due to the rising need of hatching eggs capacity, they opened the Liebig Hatching Plant in Entre Ríos.

In 1963, they decided to begin with the grilling chicken breed, they got from Arbor Acres the first 1,000 females and 100 males. In 1964 they already had 30,000 poultries, from which 16,000 were used for grilling production, and the rest were used for egg laying. Grilling chickens were sold to Vizental meat processing plant in San José town. In the middle of 1970, an important poultry breeding crisis ocurred, but they had the necessary creativity to solve the problem offering to their best clients chicks, the required food for breeding, they shared the expenses and the company was responsible for the losses. In that way emerged one of the most trascendetal features in the productive chain: the integrated, the person who offers the poultry fattening service. At that time, there were 10 who trusted in Las Camelias. Nowadays, there are more than 300.

From the beginning of repoductive poultry breeding, they made balanced food, and José María Marsó, mister Enrique’s son, repaired a 200-hundred-liter container that was over a lengthways axle that rotated to mix the food. José María knew exactly how many times the container had to rotate in order to have an homogeneous food. The production scale they reached meant that a stockpile grain plant had to be built, so that in 1982 they opened the Food Plant in San José. The growing needs of a expanding market were the causes of a bigger balanced food demand, and in 2007 they opened the food plant in Villaguay, Entre Ríos, to be able to solve the grane stockpile and production demands.

The intention of closing the productive circuit so as to reach the commercialization was fulfilled when the possibility to rent and then to buy “La Delfina” slaugther plant in Colón appeared, which allowed them to slaughter their own production.
In 1990, they decided to build a plant that was on a par with the scale necessities that “Las Camelias” had planned, which was in constant expansion and adjustment to the technological advances and request from the different international markets. The plant had a 3,000 poultry line production per hour with 150 employees. Today the plant has a line production of 3,000 poultry per hour with 800 employees.

The first slaughtered chicken sales were made at the “La Delfina” cold storage plant entrance. In 1985, in order to maintain the strength in sales and collection and at the same time consolidate the relationship between clients, they decided to create their own distribution centres in Buenos Aires market; the first was located in San Martín, in Buenos Aires province, and then, new centres were opened. The opening of the distribution centres on the coasts helped the tourist migration, allowing them to supply regularly those markets with fresh products. At the moment, the firm has 13 distribution centres located in 7 different provinces. In 1993 they made their first incursion into the foreign trade, the feet (claws) were the products exported to China, but then, in 1996, they obtained the permission from very important markets such as EU, letting them export the whole chicken or its parts, according to the international market demands. Thanks to this, they learnt about different ways of production, slaughter conditions, etc., forcing them to improve the production characteristics so as to offer high quality products, not only to foreign markets but also local ones.

In 2004, in assosiation with two other poultry companies, they decided to make progress in the productive chain. In this way they could assure the genetics storage for production.

The field is located in San Luis province, an area with high levels of biosafety due to natural isolation given by the mountains and by poultry production.